April is a month of transition in upstate New York. This year in our home it is both a transition of seasons and a transition towards our next chapter in life. We are knee deep in sorting, purging, packing, donating and (again) downsizing. And it feels good (most of the time). In the middle of all our activity, there have been some moments this month that really made my day.
1. Finding the first peonies at the flower shop.
2. Seeing my first robin of spring, taking a deep breath and connecting with nature. Emily Dickinson also loved a robin…
I have a Bird in spring
Which for myself doth sing —
The spring decoys.
And as the summer nears —
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.
4. Getting to share Eli and Henry opening their birthday gifts from Mr. Smith and me via Facetime.
5. Driving across Canada with Mr. Smith on a sunny day, enjoying the buds on the trees, the green grass, and the conversation
6. Going to the mailbox and having snail mail from my grandkids.
7. Spotting plastic Easter eggs hanging on a tree in a front yard and remembering doing that with my own sons.
8. Finishing a book that Mr. Smith had also read so we could discuss. The Huntress: A Novelby Kate Quinn
9. The 36thbirthday of my middle child, Elliot. Elliot has often been referred to as the cream between two crispy biscuits (Emmet and Adam)! Our family wouldn’t be the same without him.
10. And knowing that April leads to the beautiful month of May. Happy May Day!
C’est la vie.